Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cauliflower

1 cup raw (100g) = 25 calories (calories from fat = 1)


This week I bought probably my third ever head of cauliflower.  It just seems to be one vegetable I always overlook.  I purchased it with hopes of making the indian dish Aloo Gobi (potatoes and cauliflower) but already 3/4 of the way through the head and I now realize that we might be missing out on aloo gobi this week.  Turns out we like Cauliflower.

So where has the 3/4 of the cauliflower gone? Mini-V mostly!!! Mini-V, my broccoli-loving child has a a newfound love for the gas-inducing white vegetable.  And with her two-year molars coming in, the soft-textured, indistinct tasting florets are super palatable for her too.

Yesterday she ate a whole bowl of cauliflower (probably 6 florets) so today I doubled the quantity and of course it is Murphy's Law that she just nibbled at about 3 florets. Then again, she is running a 102 fever today (teething).  I also pan-fried a few florets in olive oil, cumin seeds and salt to toss into our salads for dinner tonight. So delicious and simple!

So I thought it would be interesting to take a closer look at our friend Mr Cauliflower and see if there was anything interesting about this usually boring and bland vegetable.


The cauliflower has a few varieties and hybrids, most notable is the purple cauliflower which turns green once cooked.  Turns out that cauliflower is actually low in fat and carbohydrates, though high in dietary fibre, folate, water and Vitamin C.

It also contains several phytochemicals (often found in cabbages) that are said to be of great nutritional benefit to humans, including properties that not only protect against cancer but can also slow the growth of cancer cells. I did not know that before!!! I just thought Cauliflowers were stinky, watery and lacking any significant nutrients.

It is said, however, that boiling is the worst way to prepare cauliflower as it destroys these important properties, particularly if you boil the vegetable for more than 10 minutes. Well, I suppose that means I got no anti-cancer compounds today but the good news is that you can preserve the anti-cancer compounds found in cauliflower by steaming, microwaving or stir-frying it. Phew!  A high intake of cauliflower has also been associated with a reduced risk of aggressive prostate cancer.

So enough on calories and fibre and cancer, let's talk about taste. The great news is that cauliflower is the ideal vehicle for stronger, bolder and more exciting flavors (think lemon, garlic, olive oil, cheddar cheese, herbs, bacon etc etc).

The cauliflower's blander facade, coupled with its broad cooking versatility, makes it the ideal vegetable to truly enjoy guilt-free as a good starch or carb replacement.  I say "cooking versatility" because cauliflowers can be baked, roasted, pureed, steamed, stir-fried and of course, even eaten raw.  Yes, the cauliflower is slightly stinky (imagine the last remnants of a gassy fart wafting out of a car with its windows rolled up) yet it magically transforms once cooked.

And did I already mention that kids love cauliflower?

I once asked myself why my daughter continually demolished her steamed broccoli as if it were doused in honey and then I sat down one day, plain old steamed broccoli in font of me. I closed my eyes and ate it pretending to have pure taste buds like hers, uninfluenced by a lifetime of sugars, salts and other flavors.  I finally got it. Vegetables are sweet! We just don't see it anymore because our taste sensors have been ruined by drinking sodas and eating chocolate. So it came as little surprise when Mini-V hungrily ate her entire bowl of cauliflower yesterday.  In its purest form, it really is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment