Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Product Review: NUK Bottles


Both my girls have enjoyed the NUK Orthodontic bottles made by Gerber, as well as their sippy cups (not included in this review). There are a few versions, all differing in the outside design of the bottle but they all function the same way and are made of the same materials.

Nuk Nature Bottles
Nuk Nature Bottles

Nuk Trendline Dots Bottle
These bottles are designed specifically to ease the transition between breast and bottle.  Both of my children were both breastfed as well as bottle fed and they both took to the NUK bottle very quickly and easily.

The NUK teat has a patented "Air System", which vents the nipple to reduce colic.  The nipple is made of silicone (much better than latex in my opinion since a lot of people react to latex) and is shaped very similarly to a breast, with a wide base and a "nipple" tip.  NUK actually claim on their website that the bottles have been scientifically proven to make feeding easier.  I will say that the bottles are easy to use and easy to feed with.  I also found that the Air System promotes a certain ease in burping after each feed.  The orthodontic design also promotes proper oral development.

All the bottles parts are interchangeable so you can mix and match, which really comes in handy when you are mixing in the pink bottle but cannot find the blue cap!  Each bottle is made up of five pieces: the bottle itself, the teat and ring around it, the cap as well as a removable inner seal, making travel mess-free.

The bottles are available in two sizes: 10 oz and 5 oz.  My recommendation is to go straight to the larger size because both my children only drank 4 oz, or less, for a couple of months and once you start actually mixing 5 oz in the 5 oz bottle, you have to be really careful to not spill the formula as it really is full to the brim.

Washing the NUK bottles is great!! The wide opening makes it really easy to get the bottle brush inside and clean the bottle effectively.  This wide neck also makes adding scoops of formula to the bottles very easy and mess-free.  I had gone from pumping (and using) the Medela bottles to the NUK system and I was starting to really cringe every time I had to wash the yellow-capped Medela bottles as they have narrow necks and crappy nipples. The NUK, by contrast, is much easier to wash and use, especially as there are few parts (unlike the Born Free bottles, which I do actually like, but have six parts to wash!! Too many for busy Moms).

 The NUK bottles really are my favorite and we have tried at least 5 other brands (Nuby, Born Free, Medela, First Step ad Tommy Tippy). I have always had some beef about the other brands, whether it was a leaking top or difficulty in washing but I have nothing but good things to say about the NUK Bottles. I highly recommend them to any bottle-feeding parent or caregiver.


No comments:

Post a Comment