Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Flat White

The "Flat White" is my ultimate coffee.  It is, in my opinion, the perfect blend of espresso-steamed milk-froth and I love how it is always served in a nice cup and saucer. It looks so pretty, I am always taking photos of it when I visit Australia.

Flat White at The Pier, Port Melbourne - Australia
Flat White at Moulin Noir Bistro, Port Melbourne - Australia
Flat White at Cocao, Doncaster - Australia
Flat White at Laurent Patisserie, Doncaster - Australia
Being an Australian, we pride ourselves in excellent coffees and Baristas are serious professionals.  The cafe culture is strong in Melbourne, my hometown, and no day passes without sitting down for an espresso.  My choice drink? The Flat White. Unfortunately, I am yet to see it on a menu outside of Australia and my goal this year is to put my espresso machine to good use and learn how to perfect it. 

I have to admit, ordering an "espresso" is really disappointing in the United States and I use quotation marks there because nearly every restaurant that advertises a cappuccino or caffe latte on their menu makes it using an automatic machine. Personally, I do not think pressing a button is real espresso... the barista needs to make love to the espresso machine! There is truly a science involved in making a great espresso and it involves intricate and precise details, such as temperature, the type of coffee bean itself, methodology in swirling and pouring and water filtration.  Usually in the US, I stick to regular filtered coffee because I don't want to be disappointed by the automatic machine-making "espresso" - and I usually do ask anyway if they actually making the lattes with a real machine (they never say yes).

So if you are after a different type of espresso to the usual lattes and cappuccinos, and have access to an espresso machine, why not try the Flat White? It is luxuriously smooth in taste and not unnecessarily embellished by a thick head of froth. Here is a great tutorial:


No comments:

Post a Comment